New ideas for your festive break
Have you ever tried a winter getaway? There’s plenty going on near our adult-only parks over the Festive Season and before. Some Tranquil Parks are having festivities on site too.
For many of us the Christmas and New Year holiday is another opportunity for a relaxed break, whether you want to get into the seasonal spirit, or get away from it all! Either way, there are great offers to be had over the winter – see our Special Offers.
We have 26 Tranquil Parks staying open over Christmas and New Year. Eight of them will close in early January. Some can get busy over the holiday period, so please don’t leave it too late to book.
You can be warm and cosy on your pitch thanks to the heating systems that modern caravans and motorhomes now have. And if you go glamping, or stay in accommodation, you may even be able to snuggle up in front of your very own wood burner.
Do you love that pre-Christmas buzz? Choose a Christmas market where you can find unique gifts. Or simply soak up the atmosphere, and indulge in some festive treats at special markets and events.
Here are our parks’ recommendations for their local seasonal events. We’ve also given details of some of the Christmas and New Year celebrations at our parks or nearby. And to show you which parks close after Christmas and which are open all year, we’ve listed them at the end.
(Top picture is the Spectacle of Light at Sudeley Castle, provided by Briarfields Motel and Touring Park.)
New Year’s Eve celebration at Red Kite
There’ll be fireworks, fizz and mulled wine at Red Kite Touring Park in Powys this New Year’s Eve. Proprietors Emily and Richard look forward to welcoming guests to the park’s celebration before closing on 3 January.
Christmas on a grand scale at Castle Howard, Yorkshire
Overbrook Touring Park in North Yorkshire recommends Christmas at Castle Howard. Just 20 minutes’ drive away, this stunning stately home does Christmas on a grand scale and is transformed by magnificent decorations, open fires, candlelight and a 25 foot traditional tree. Find out more
You can also reach Castle Howard from York Caravan Park (see below).
Norfolk Markets and heritage steam train
Two Mills Touring Park in Norfolk stays open until 3 January and there are discounts for October, November and December shown in the Special Offers section. All bookings made this year for next will be at this year’s rates.
The park recommends the Christmas Fair at Holt Hall, an impressive historic house, taking place on 23-24 November. Also recommended are Norwich Christmas Market 2-23 December and Bury St Edmunds Christmas Fayre, 21-24 November.
The North Norfolk Railway, a heritage steam railway, will run the Norfolk Lights Express between Sheringham and Holt from 20 November. Watch an amazing light show with illuminated festive scenes from the comfort of a plush carriage.
Traditional Christmas and New Year menus plus entertainment are being offered in many local establishments near Two Mills. These include the country inn right opposite the park.
South Wales Festival of Senses
Hywel at South Wales Touring Park recommends the Llandeilo Festival of Senses to get you into the festive spirit. One of many events near the park, this free pre-Christmas festival runs from 15-17 November (and the park had availability for that weekend at the time of writing). It encompasses the town’s shops, pubs, cafes and restaurants as well as offering craft and fashion stalls, food stalls, buskers, entertainment and more.
The biggest Christmas lights in the area are in Llanelli. They’ll be switched on on 22 November amidst a huge carnival parade. For more information on the area, visit the Discover Carmarthenshire website.
Lighting lanterns and flaming torches in Somerset
During the run-up to Christmas, there are several National Trust venues running special events in Somerset near Waterrow Touring Park.
One of the most dramatic local events is Dunster by Candlelight taking place on 6 and 7 December. The lantern lighting procession goes through the village until all the lanterns have been lit on Friday evening, followed by 17th Century soldiers marching through the village with flaming torches on Saturday.
Christmas and New Year at Waterrow
Two New Year celebrations are on offer: the local pub, The Rock Inn (within staggering distance) is offering a 4-course gourmet meal including champagne and music for £55 per person. Oake Manor is also hosting a New Year celebration with a 4-course gourmet meal, disco, fireworks and piper for £54.50 per person. If there are enough people, the park will organise coach transport to and from Oake Manor.
If you stay at Waterrow more than 4 nights over Christmas / New Year, you’ll be entered into a prize draw to win a free one-week stay in 2020. There’s also a competition for the best decorated caravan or motorhome in aid of the local air ambulance.
There are several special offers at Waterrow over the winter months. To see them all, go to their Tranquil Parks page and then select the Special Offers tab.
Briarfields Motel and Touring Park in Gloucestershire is open all year round. This winter the management will be creating additional fully serviced pitches and planting native hedges for added privacy. Recommended local events include:
- Victorian Christmas Market 14 – 24 November – 11 days of Christmas magic at Gloucester Quays, with over 100 stalls offering food, drink and bespoke gifts alongside cheeky Victorian entertainment. See details
- Jump racing at Cheltenham Racecourse – dates available in October, November, December and New Year’s Day. See details
- Spectacle of Light at Sudeley Castle (selected dates 30 November-30 December) – An incredible illuminated trail around the grounds of this magnificent castle. See details
Impressive boat lift and markets in Cheshire
If you’re interested in a getaway to Lamb Cottage in Cheshire, the Anderton Boat Lift Firework Spectacular takes place on 26 October. Located in Northwich, about 20 minutes’ drive away, the impressive firework display takes place above the picturesque River Weaver.
In the background is the majestic Anderton Boat Lift. The award-winning waterway lift transports boats and barges 50 feet between the River Weaver to the Trent and Mersey Canal. Read more
The Chester Christmas Markets are back from 16 November -22 December. There will be over 70 stalls for you to enjoy in the centre of this beautiful city, from gifts and stocking fillers to food and drink. Read more
Christmas at Lamb Cottage
Boat Lift picture attribution: Rodw [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)]
Top picks for the Peak District
There’s so much going on near Longnor Wood Holiday Park we can’t list it all here! Please use this link for the Visit Peak District website. James has cherry picked a few events that are close by and/or known to be good:
- Bakewell Christmas Market 23-24 November
- Buxton Christmas Market 15 December
- Chatsworth Christmas Market 15 November to 3 December
- Matlock Victorian Christmas Market 6-8 December
Worried about your dog being scared by fireworks? Longnor Wood will deliberately not be putting on any fireworks displays over the festive period for the sake of guests with dogs.
Birmingham’s big Christmas events
Driving or getting public transport to Birmingham is easy from Somers Wood Caravan Park in North Warwickshire. There’s plenty of parking in Birmingham City Centre if you want to drive in. Alternatively, you can take the X1 bus from Meriden Village bus stop (about half a mile from the park). The train goes from Hampton In Arden (2 miles from the park) to New Street Station. Key events include:
- German Christmas Market – 7 November to 23 December, Birmingham City Centre
- Simply Christmas, the crafty Christmas show – 31 October to 3 November at the NEC
- Festive Gift Fair – 14-17 November at the NEC
Christmas and New Year at Somers Wood
There were still some pitches available at the time of writing this. Several places in Meriden Village (within walking distance) will be serving Christmas Dinner and hosting parties over the festive season.
Events at stunning North Lincolnshire mansion
There’s a stunning Regency mansion with parkland within easy reach of Brookside Country Park in Lincolnshire called Normanby Hall Country Park. The Hall will be hosting a series of Christmas events, including a Sunday Christmas Carvery, Christmas lunches, crafts and lunch, Festive Films and Deer Feeding.
The ever popular Christmas Market is back this year at Normanby Hall on 15 December. Expect around 70 stalls offering a wide range of gifts and fabulous local produce. Read more
York’s Christmas festivities
It’s only a short hop from York Caravan Park to the city centre. The park’s location is on a regular bus route which takes just 10 minutes to the city. This means you can enjoy the seasonal shows and entertainment, as well as the odd glass of mulled wine, without having to worry about parking or driving. This year’s festivities include:
St Nicolas’ Christmas Markets & Illuminations 14 November to 22 December – Hundreds of brightly coloured wooden chalets will line the ancient city centre, with unique gifts and festive treats to tempt you. All this is set against the stunning backdrop of York Minster, the City Gates and medieval Shambles all decorated and lit for the Christmas season. Read more
Castle Howard – Magnificent at any time of the year, Castle Howard takes on a special Christmas magic when the house’s state rooms are adorned with hand-crafted decorations in the grand style. Take a walk in the gardens, enjoy a sumptuous afternoon tea in the cafés or browse a unique range of Christmas gifts in the House Gift Shop. It’s 25mins to drive or catch the bus from the park entrance. Find out more
Christmas at York Caravan Park
At York Caravan Park you’ll be comfy on a fully serviced hardstanding pitch and cosseted with warm, 5 star facilities. The management team look forward to seeing lots of decorated pitches and ‘vans during the season. So they’ll be handing out little gifts for the best decorated units. Happy Christmas! Read more about the park at Christmas.
Victorian fair in Yorkshire
Blue Rose Country Caravan Park in the East Riding of Yorkshire is close to Burton Constable Hall, an impressive Elizabethan mansion. Here you’ll find a range of events on offer, including a Victorian Christmas Fair on 23-24 November.
The nearby town of Beverley hosts its Festival of Christmas on 8 December. Browse three traditional Victorian street markets for artisan gifts and handmade trinkets, or tuck into some comforting street food and mulled wine. Read more
Melton Mowbray Victorian Fayre
From Eye Kettleby Lakes in Leicestershire, you can enjoy the famous Victorian Christmas Market in Melton Mowbray. Taking place from 29 November to 1 December, the market provides lots to see, including the lights switch-on and firework display, as well as the Christmas tree festival at the church.
(Eye Kettleby Lakes is open until 8 January, however, the Clubhouse and Reception are closed on Christmas Day and New Year’s Day and will only be serving drinks on Boxing Day.)
Popular market in Lincoln
Long Acres Touring Park in Lincolnshire, open until 8 January, is near to one of the oldest and most popular Christmas markets in the country. The Lincoln Christmas Market will include over 250 stalls around the gothic Cathedral from 5-8 December.
A truly festive Christmas season at Bath Chew Valley Caravan Park
There’s a truly festive atmosphere at Bath Chew Valley Caravan Park as guests arrive to visit Christmas markets or stay for the Christmas and New Year holidays. Whether you choose city centre markets or countryside festivities, you’ll find them within easy reach of your touring pitch. And you can enjoy all the creature comforts of the 5-star touring facilities voted the ‘Best Open All Year Caravan Site 2018’. The park’s own festive Christmas illuminations will be switched on from 28 November.
- Premier Christmas Markets – Bristol Christmas Market opens the festivities in Broadmead Shopping Centre, 8 November. Though for many guests, the countdown to Christmas starts with the magic of Bath Christmas Market (28 November to 15 December). It’s one of the nation’s premier festivals. Bath City centre becomes a wonderland of light and joy with almost 170 decorated chalets adorning the square in front of the beautifully illuminated Abbey. Find out more
- Traditional Christmas Festivals – Away from the bright lights of city centre arcades, you can experience the traditional spirit of Christmas at local, friendly, festivals. See Santa’s sleigh hauled through Wells by real reindeer, 8 December. Or visit the city’s local Christmas Markets, 14 and 21 December. Follow our Facebook Page to find dates and times for the Christmas festivals. Find out more
Christmas festivals near Bath Chew Valley Caravan Park at a glance:
- 8 Nov – 24 Dec. Bristol Christmas Market, Broadmead
- 9 Nov – 5 Jan 2020, Longleat Festival of Light (selected dates)
- 15 Nov – 5 Jan 2020, Bath on Ice, Royal Victoria Park
- 28 Nov – 15 Dec, Bath Christmas Market
- 28 Nov – 6 Jan 2020, Bath Chew Valley Christmas Lights
- 1 Dec – 23 Dec, Bristol Local Christmas Market, Broadmead
- 8 Dec, Wells Reindeer Procession
- 14 Dec, Wells Christmas Fayre
- 21 Dec, Wells Christmas Fayre
Christmas and New Year parties at Blue Rose Country Park, Yorkshire
Blue Rose Country Park in the East Riding of Yorkshire will again be hosting Christmas and New Year parties. The Christmas party takes place on Saturday 7 December with music from Roxanne. The New Year’s Eve party will be fancy dress and will include a buffet, party games, disco and, of course, plenty of fun!
These parks will close in early January and re-open next spring
- Overbrook Caravan Park, North Yorkshire
- York Caravan Park
- Long Acres Touring Park, Lincolnshire
- Lamb Cottage Caravan Park, Cheshire
- Red Kite Touring Park, Powys
- Two Mills Touring Park, Norfolk
- Longnor Wood Holiday Park, Derbyshire
- Wayfarers Holiday Park, Cornwall
These parks are open all year round
- Blue Rose Country Park, Yorkshire
- Brookside Country Park, Lincolnshire
- Wolds View Touring Park, Lincolnshire
- Daisy Bank Touring Caravan Park, Powys
- Greendale Farm Caravan and Camping Park, Rutland
- Eye Kettleby Lakes Leicestershire
- Stroud Hill Park, Cambridgeshire
- Fields End Water, Cambridgeshire
- Somers Wood Touring Park, Warwickshire
- Run Cottage Touring Park, Suffolk
- Briarfields Motel & Touring Park, Gloucestershire
- South Wales Touring Park, Carmarthenshire
- Bath Chew Valley Caravan Park, Somerset
- Waterrow Touring Park, Somerset
- Wells Touring Park, Somerset
- Woodland Springs Touring Park, Devon
- Moor View Touring Park, Devon
- Killiwerris Touring Park, Cornwall